Do you ever wonder what a spirit animal is? Do you find yourself pondering what your personal spirit animal might be? You would be among the millions of people who ask themselves these questions every single day; and it does not make you crazy or unusual in any way. In fact, the belief in and respect for spirit animals and animal totems has been around since the dawn of civilization. Finding out what your own personal spirit animal is can be a difficult task if you do not know what to research. If you have always found yourself drawn to bears then chances are that is your animal spirit guide.
What is a Spirit Animal?
Ancient pagan civilizations have been honoring spirit animals or totems since the inception of their religious practices. According to the belief system, you don’t simply decide which animal is associated with you. Instead, each animal spirit chooses to attach itself to you. The spirit animal is supposed to be a representations of your inherent skills and personality traits. These unique qualities that are manifest in the animal are therefore transferred to you in the form of goals, ambitions, fears, and favorites.
There is a poem about the bear animal spirit that was written by D.J. Conway. It very eloquently and truthfully reads:
Deep in slumber, dreams unending,
Wise old bear, patient, strong,
Send me dreams of transformation,
Grant me intuition along
With introspection of my life,
Inner listening, no more strife.
This line of prose is a wonderful example of the characteristics of a bear, and of a person whose spirit animal is one. Discovering whether or not the bear is your spirit animal is as easy as taking some time to get to know yourself and the world around you before anything else. You may feel as though this poem speaks to you personally; and that may very well be the case. However, if you do not go through the five steps required to accurately discover your spirit animal, you may never truly know.
What Characteristics are Associated with the Bear?
If you have the spirit of the bear within you, it will not be hard to tell when you know how to find out. Understanding the characteristics of the bear totem is important to your accurate discovery. Those who have the bear as their spirit animal may do or feel some or all of the following for the majority of their time:
• Showing a lot of strength (either physically or in character)
• Exhibiting confidence
• Developing a habit of standing up against adversity
• Showing leadership qualities
• Having innate healing abilities
• Needing brief periods of solitude or quiet time
• Feeling grounded and level-headed
As a matter of fact, the bear is commonly associated with folks who are exceptionally wise. In Siberia, female shamans are known as “a bear.” In addition, Inuit tribes in North America also refer to their wise women as bears. Therefore, if you find yourself constantly being asked for advice or for some sort of healing, then you might very well be inspired by the spirit of a bear.
Steps on Finding out your Spirit Animal
After reading through those characteristics, do you feel as though your spirit animal might be a bear? There are a several ways in which you can tell if you are on the right path or not. Most places that offer information on the topic usually suggest that a person go through at least five conscious steps before deciding on what their spirit animal or totem actually is.
1. Know Thyself: You won’t likely be able to tell accurately what your animal totem is if you do not first know all there is to know about yourself. This means that you will have to take into honest consideration your strengths as well as your flaws.
2. Get to know Nature: It is never a bad idea to gain knowledge about the world around you; but when you are searching for your spirit animal, spending time out in nature is always the best plan of action. This action will give you the chance to observe several species in their natural habitat; and it might help you discover your spirit animal faster.
3. Go Within: The best way to figure out what is happen on the outside is to take some time to consider what’s happening on the inside. Before you decide whether the bear is your spirit animal or not, spend some time meditating on the matter.
4. Pay Attention to Dreams: The animals that present themselves to you in your dreams are sometimes an indication of what your spirit animal is.
5. Watch for Unusual Animal Behavior: Animals that are around you might start to act strange in your presence. This is because they are more sensitive to the spiritual realm. Pay attention if an animal begins acting funny around you; and take note of what these strange behaviors are.
Once you have done these things, deciding whether or not the bear is your spirit animal should be a piece of cake. Contact a shaman if you have specific questions. At the end of the day, you’ll be what you’re meant to be, not just what you would like to be.