For centuries, cultures from all over the world have been calling upon and identifying with the spirits of animals to guide them through the ups and downs of life. Some people seem to be born knowing what their spirit animal is, while others must walk down a path towards the discovery of their own. A lot of people feel as though their spirit is represented by the owl; but how can someone be sure? There are ways to find out what your spirit animal is. You merely have to know what to look for. After all, knowledge is power.
What is a Spirit Animal?
A spirit animal is an esoteric representation of you, characterized by certain traits and attributes you exhibit throughout your lifetime. For instance, someone who seems light in spirit may have a hummingbird as their animal totem. However, those who feel an uncanny attraction to a specific animal are usually experiencing that pull because the animal is, in fact, their spirit guide.
A person will be assigned a spirit animal based on a number of factors. Some people believe that it is possible for a person to choose their own spirit animal; but that is simply not the case. When things are being decided on the spiritual realm, each person is given a spirit animal to inspire, guide, and drive them towards a specific destiny – or so it is believed by the ancient cultures that first developed the system.
Characteristics of the Owl
Do you find yourself being fooled or tricked a lot? Are you the type of person who knows exactly what to do only after the fact? If you answered yes to either question, then chances are your spirit animal is not an owl. Owls are known to be wise and receptive. They use a heightened sense of intuition to decipher the mysteries of man and nature during the wee hours of the night. In a nutshell, owls have the ability to see things that are not yet in the light.
Moreover, an owl is calculating and knows how to catch its prey even when other owls cannot even see that there is prey to be had. As someone with an owl spirit animal totem, you should mirror these qualities in your everyday life. Keep in mind that spirit animals choose you and not the other way around. However, just because your spirit animal is one thing that does not mean that you can only exhibit those characteristics.
Owl Spirit Animal Qualities in a Person
There is an old famous saying that goes something like, “A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren’t we all like that wise old bird?” This is a clear indication of the characteristics of a person whose spirit animal is an owl. These people will be cool and calculating, never speaking out of turn or acting out of impulse. As a general rule a person who has an owl spirit animal totem will exhibit some, if not all, of the following characteristics:
• Wisdom beyond one’s years
• A strong sense of intuition
• Ability to see through lies and deceit
• Things change when you come around
Simply having some these characteristics is not a clear indication that your spirit animal is an owl though. There is a lot of work that has to be done to be sure.
The Five Steps to Accurate Spirit Animal Discovery
Usually, wise people go through at least five basic steps before they decide on which animal they will identify with as their spirit guide.
1. To thine own self be true. The only way you can ever find out who you truly are or what your spirit animal really is will be by getting to know yourself better than you know anyone else.
2. Listen to nature. Take some time to go out in nature. Here you will find out whether or not your spirit animal is the owl. Even if you do not discover this, it will help you to center and balance your consciousness.
3. Meditate for the answers. Going inside yourself is important for the discovery of what your spirit animal truly is. You already have the answers you seek within you; it only requires that you go in and find it.
4. Pay attention to your dreams. The dreams you have when you sleep are not simply brain entertainment. They hold the key to some of life’s most pressing questions. If you pay attention, you might find something quite fascinating.
5. Watch for strange animal behavior. When you are around animals you might find that they act strange. Keep an eye on this. It could be an indication of what your spirit animal is.